We do have some popular American Christian Fiction authors available in the Russian language. Look for Lori Wick, Beverly Lewis, Elizabeth George, Karen Kingsbury, Richard Paul Evans, Francine Rivers and Michael Phillips.
We recently asked the staff at Camas for clarification on how long their materials stay in “New Book” status. As a general rule:
1. All Fiction materials stay as new books for 9-10 months.
2. Nonfiction materials stay as new books for 6 months.
Lately items have been staying in New Book status longer so that they have more items on their New Book shelves, so remember that this is just a guideline.
The Playaway Views for kids (pre-loaded portable hand-held devices that display video content), will be arriving soon at the following branches: VA,CP, and VM. Vancouver Bond money paid for this initial collection of Playaway
View(s). They come in an orange case that is slighter larger than a CD case, with a small universal adapter (which is used to recharge the device). There are E’s and juvenile non-fiction, with the majority for the 3-year-old to 6th grade audience.
This new format will have orange Kids’ Lucky Day stickers on the cases and contain the following information; Kids’ Lucky Day Limit 2 on your account. No holds. No renewals. Return in 3 weeks.
They CAN float, so if they are returned elsewhere in the district, they will stay at that branch until they are checked out again, but they can’t be placed on hold or renewed.
During the pilot phase, which is for the first six months, patrons will not be charged for lost chargers or cases, or for damage of the Playaway View (we need to see how well they hold up in circulation, though we understand they are very durable). These come pre-processed with the RFID tag on the case, and TSD staff have applied the Lucky Day sticker.
1) Staff is not responsible for recharging the device; it is the patron’s responsibility.
2) Staff does not need to contact patron if charger is missing.
3) Each branch will receive a small amount of chargers to use for replacement.
4) Contact Joanette Jackson . if you need more chargers or Kids Lucky Day stickers.
5) Cases can be ordered off of the Supplies Database that Kelly Ackley oversees .
6) An 8 ½ x 11 flyer will be sent out to each branch to use in display if desired.
7) The call no. used will be VP followed by the level or Dewey no. (Ex. VP E KEATS for Snowy Day: and Other Stories by Ezra Jack Keats)
8) When the Playaway View is checked out or in transit it will be visible to the patron in the catalog, otherwise it will be shadowed and unable to be seen.
9) An initial shipment will arrive within the week.
Booklist Online has a new e-newsletter called Corner Shelf that merges readers advisory information with collection development. You can find it at: http://ala-publishing.informz.net/ala-publishing/archives/archive_1875906.html
This second issue is about e books, including how to weed them.
The publishing news keeps getting more grim by the day. The fall of Borders has hit the manga publishing word quite hard. Three of the major manga publishers have shut down their manga operations. This means that dozens of series FVRL currently get are not going to be completed. The publishers are DelRey, Tokyopop, and cmx. I’ve pasted in the lists below of defunct series. (We were not getting all of these series, by the way.) It’s good information to have so we can pass it on to our patrons. As always, let me know if you hear of any good graphic novel and manga series we should be getting. Continue reading
of interest to children
JUN 3, 2011
Movie Title: X-Men: First Class
Director: Matthew Vaughn
Official Movie Site: X-MenFirstClassMovie.com
Based on: Marvel Comic Series by Jeff Parker and Roger Cruz; available in two volumes:
JUN 10, 2011
Movie Title: Judy Moody and the Not Bummer Summer
Director: John Schultz
Based on: Children’s series by Megan McDonald
Official Movie Site: JudyMoodyMovie.com
JUN 17, 2011
Movie Title: Green Lantern
Director: Martin Campbell
Official Web Site: GreenLantern.com
Based on: DC Comics series, Green Lantern
JUN 17, 2011
Movie title: Mr. Popper’s Penguins
Director: Mark Waters
Official Web Site: PoppersPenguins.com
Based on: Mr. Popper’s Penguins, Richard and Florence Atwater, LBYR, 1938
JUL 15, 2011
Movie Title: Winnie the Pooh
Directors: Stephen J. Anderson, Don Hall
Official Movie Site: Disney.com/pooh
Based on: Books by A.A. Milne
JUL 15, 2011
Movie Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
Director: David Yates
Official Movie Site: HarryPotter.com
Based on: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
JUL 22, 2011
Movie Title: America: The
Director: Joe Johnston
Official Movie Site: CaptainAmerica.com
Based on: Marvel Comics Series
JUL 29, 2011
Movie Title: Horrid Henry in 3D
Director: Nick Moore (Wild Child)
Official Web Site: HorridHenryTheMovie.com
Based on: Horrid Henry series by Francesca Simon
Other movies; May 26 -, Kung Fu Panda 2, June 24- Cars 2, July 1 – Transformers: Dark of the Moon, July 8 – Zookeeper, July 29 – The Smurfs
- Guide to summer movies 2011 (cbsnews.com)
- ‘Mr. Popper’s Penguins’ poll: What is your favorite Jim Carrey movie character? (popwatch.ew.com)
- “Mr. Popper’s Penguins” Is A Kids Movie…Based On A Book…And It Doesn’t Look THAT BAD?! (popcornbytes.wordpress.com)
- ‘Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows’ Is The Second MTV Movie Awards Spoof To Be Revealed! (moviesblog.mtv.com)
~ Sue B.
Coming in June, we will start a new mini collection called It’s Your Lucky Day. Items in this collection will be current bestsellers, but unavailable through the hold queue. So how do you get them, you come in to your local branch. They are exempt from floating, can only be checked out for 3 weeks with no renewals and you can only check out 2 at a time on your account. So will you be lucky next time you visit your local branch and find a hot title available now?
VM, WS, and NB are currently trying this out as a pilot project. Why not visit and see what’s on the shelf today?